Sometimes when using Internet Explorer 8 (IE8), you will receive a
message about a corrupted search provider. It states "a program on your
computer has corrupted your default search provider settings for
Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this settings to your
original search provider, Bing (www.bing.com). Internet Explorer will
now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install
more search providers.
However, even after changing the search provider settings, the problem remains when you open IE8.
1) Close Internet Explorer 8
2) Click on Start
3) Click on Run or type into the search box in Vista/7
4) Type regedit and press Enter
5) In the Registry Editor, click on the plus signs (+) next to the following items
- Current Version
- User Shell Folders
6) In the right pane, look for an item called AppData
If AppData does not exist, Right-click in the right pane and choose
New, then "Expandable String Value". Then type AppData for the Value
Name and set the Value Data to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data.
8) If AppData does exist, double-click on AppData and change the Value Data to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
9) Close the Registry Editor
10) Reopen Internet Explorer 8