What is the Thumbs.db file?
I'm sure everyone using Windows
XP has seen a small file in some directories called thumbs.db. This
file is a cache of the thumbnail pictures in a directory. It spIeeds up
the showing of thumbnails when you are viewing a folder in Thumbnail
The only drawback of the thumbs.db file is that it takes up disk
space. Although this space is very small in most cases, if you have a
lot of thumbs.db files littering your hard drive you may be able to
save some valuable space by removing them. Follow the steps below to
turn off the creation of this file and delete the thumbs.db files that
are on your hard drive.
To turn this feature off, do the following:
1) Open My Computer
2) Click on Tools
3) Click on Folder Options
4) Click on the View Tab
5) Place a check in the option "Do not cache thumbnails"
6) Click Ok
7) Close My Computer
Now follow the next steps to remove the thumbs.db files from your hard drive
1) Click on Start
2) Click on Search
3) Click on All Files and Folders
4) Type the following in the section called "all or part of the file name"
5) In the Look in box, make sure Local Hard Drives is chosen
6) Click Search
7) A long list of thumbs.db files should appear, click on Edit, Select All
8) Click on File, and choose Delete
9) Close the Search Results window
this tip isn't for everyone, if you are low on disk space and dont use
the Thumbnail view to show your files, this may save you some valuable