Windows XP gives the user a couple ways to log into the
computer. You can use the traditional or classic method of typing in
the username and password to login or you can use what's called the
Welcome Screen to login.
What if you want to change the way your computer logs in, can you disable or enable this Welcome Screen?
Windows XP Welcome Screen is tied to another feature called "Fast User
Switching". This feature lets a user leave all his programs running if
another user needs to use the computer. The first user can Log Off the
session and Switch User back to the Welcome Screen so that another
person can use the computer. When the second person is done, the user
can switch back to his profile with all the programs still running
where they left off. In order to use this feature, you have to use the
Welcome Screen. However, if you dont need or want this feature, follow
the instructions below to remove the Welcome Screen.
Remove the Welcome Screen
If you dont want to use "Fast User Switching
you may want to disable the Welcome Screen. You must be logged in as an
Administrator to do this. Note:To do this follow the directions below:
1) Click on Start
2) Click on Control Panel
3) Double-click on User Accounts
4) Click on "Change the way users log on or off"
5) Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen" (note: this will also disable "Fast User Switching")
6) Click on Apply Options
7) Close the User Accounts window and the Control Panel
8) The next time you reboot your computer, the classic login prompt will be used
What if I dont want the Welcome Screen OR the classic prompt? Can I disable both?
To Login automatically to a user account, follow the instructions below:
1) Click on Run
2) Type in the following command and click OKcontrol userpasswords2
3) Highlight the user you want to log into automatically, then uncheck the box for
"Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"
4) Click on Apply and you'll be asked to verify the username and password to log in automatically
Click OK and the next time you restart your computer, you'll
automatically be logged in without having the classic prompt or Welcome
Is there a utility I can use to accomplish this?
can download a utility for Windows XP called TweakUI that will allow
you to change the way you log into Windows XP, along with allowing you
to change alot of other features.
You can download TweakUI for Windows XP from the Microsoft Powertoys web page athttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Another Welcome Screen Issue
If you have recently installed a Netgear WG111 USB wireless network adapter, you might not be able to enable the Welcome Screen or Fast User Switching