Another great free antivirus program is called Antivir. It does not
take up a lot of system resources and is excellent at quarantining
viruses and other malware. However, like all other antivirus products,
there may be times when you need to uninstall or remove it. Corrupted
virus signatures have caused it not to update properly, or it wont
start properly and it needs to be reinstalled. Maybe corrupted
files are causing 100% CPU usage. These and other issues can cause you
to uninstall and reinstall your antivirus product.
Whatever the reason for needing to uninstall Antivir, I've listed the best procedure for doing this below:
The first thing you want to try is to locate
AntiVir in the Add/Remove Control Panel and try to remove it from
there. Follow these instructions to accomplish this.
1) Click on Start, Control Panel
2) Open Add/Remove Programs
3) Find AntiVir in the Programs list and highlight it
4) Click Remove and follow the prompts to uninstall Antivir
What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed
issue with AntiVir will cause it to still show up in the Windows
Security Center even when its been uninstalled properly. If this is the
case, please refer to this article to resolve it.http://www.pchell.com/support/multiple_antivirus_in_security_center.shtml
Using the AntiVir Registry Cleaner
for some reason the normal uninstall does not work, you may have to
download AntiVir's registry cleaner utility to remove all traces of it
from the registry and allow you to reinstall it.
1) Click on the following link to visit the Avira Download Page and download the AntiVir Registry Cleaner to your desktophttp://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-registrycleaner
2) Create a folder on your desktop called Antivir and Unzip the file to your desktop
3) Double-click on the file called RegCleaner.exe to run it
Since the program is German, you'll have to click on the button called
"keys asulesen" to search the registry for any issues. Then place
checkmarks next to the registry entries you wish to delete.
5) Finally, click on the button called "loschen" to delete the keys
6) Restart your computer and try to reinstall your antivirus
Other Removal Instructions for Antivirus Programs
Buy Anti-Virus Software
If you don't already have antivirus software loaded on your computer. You should download and install an antivirus product immediately. The popular commercial antivirus products like McAfee and Norton are ok, but there are also excellent free antivirus solutions available. Listed below are some of the popular free and commercial antivirus software products.